Happy New Year ... What it is your crafty New Year's resolution?

Happy New Year to you all. I hope that 2016 is already off to a great start for you. I learnt long ago not to make wild New Year's resolutions - it can make you a bit unhappy with yourself if you fail! But this year (mostly due to a very messy craft desk full of my Christmas crafting products) I have decided that my crafty resolution should be to use all of my lovely Stampin' Up! products and not leave them for that 'special' project. Do you find that you can't cut into that special paper or use those extraspecial embellishents? I think that I will still be discerning about who I give cards and gifts to using my really special products but use them I will! I'm sure I'm not alone when I tell you that I still have sheets of Designer Series Paper (DSP) from the first Australian Stampin' Up! catalogue. Lucky my resolution is from now on!

In that same spirit (and maybe to lessen the amount of stuff I have to put away!) I have decided to use some of my Christmas supplies from the Holidays catalogue for non Christmas occassions. I can tell myself that I will use the DSP next Christmas but let's face it, next year I'll be in love with a new set of papers and embellishents. Of course I am itching to show you products from the new Occassions and Sale-a-bration Catalogues that will be launched in a few days on January 5th but we'll have 3 months for SAB and 5 for the Occasions catalogue to explore those products.

I make cards to sell in a box where I go for Pilates and my stocks are running low so the more cards I can make the better. I like to make cards that are a bit differnt to the ones that you can buy in a shop and if they stand up for display it's a bonus. With that in mind the non-Christmas specific pieces of DSP that are on my desk will work really well with the card fold that I have recently learnt. Sometime in the last few months the weekly tutorial over at Splitcoast Stampers was for a Decorative Corner Card. It is so simple (why didn't I think of it?) and yet so effective. It looks way harder to make than it is. The fact that it packs flat to fit into a standard C6 envelope yet stands up for display makes it a real winner for me.

You can see the tutorial here. There is a great video to go with it if you prefer to watch rather than read instructions. I have tweeked the measurements and method to work with metric measurements and whole centimetres (who can be bothered with millimeters after celebrating New Year's Eve?) but the basic construction is the same. You will see that they have cut a seperate piece to join the first and last corners but I have made mine all in one. You need a little over a half a piece of A4 cardstock so I figured I'd take a short cut.

This is what my first finished cards look like. Did I mention that my Festive Flower Builder punch is weighing down my stack of Winter Wonderland DSP and vellum. Of course I had to use it as well!


This it what the back of each card looks like.




To make the card you will need:
  • a piece of 15 x 25 cm cardstock (scored as per the diagram below)
  • 2 x 1" circles - folded in half
  • 4 base mats - 5 x 14.5 cm
  • 4 top mats - 4.5 x 14 cm (of course you can vary the mat size as I have done)



Flip the card over after attaching all of the panels and add adhesive the to small panel. Use the picture below to construct the card. Doing it this way ensures that it still sits flat for the envelope.


The ingenious way of attaching the 2 punched circles to allow the corner embellishment to "pop" is easy to do. It also means that the card still looks great when folded flat. Glue each folded circle onto the card front - one either side of the fold line. Attach your embellishment to these circles.

Do you have a crafty resolution? I'd love to hear what it is.

There is only today and tomorrow left to order from the Holiday catalogue. You can order through my Stampin' Up! shop. Just click on either link at the top right of my blog and products can be sent straight to your door anywhere in Australia.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.